The Norfolk Association for Community Living says unionized employees represented by OPSEU could begin a lawful strike as early as Monday, May 25.
In a letter addressed to families and community members, Executive Director Stella Barker said the organization and its bargaining team have been unable to reach a new collective agreement despite numerous meetings and conciliation efforts. The contract for unionized workers expired in March of 2023.
According to NACL, negotiations were paused by the union bargaining team in July of 2025 to focus on the provincewide “Worth Fighting For” campaign, which advocates for increased funding in Ontario’s developmental services sector.
Barker said NACL supports the push for increased provincial funding and has previously advocated for more support through meetings with local elected officials and campaigns led by Community Living Ontario. She also noted the organization supported the province’s permanent $3-per-hour wage enhancement for developmental services workers introduced in 2022.
While the provincial budget released earlier this year referenced additional funding for the sector, NACL says details regarding the amount, timing and allowable use of the funding have not yet been provided.
If a strike moves ahead, NACL says several services will be impacted.
Residential supports would continue on a limited basis using non-union staff and temporary staffing agencies, though the organization says alternate arrangements may be needed for some individuals receiving residential care. Community Outreach Services, Passport Services and Job Links Services would all be paused during a labour disruption.
Supported Independent Living services would continue in a minimal capacity through phone support and referrals to emergency services if needed.
NACL says it has already begun extensive contingency planning and is contacting families individually to prepare support plans in the event of a strike.
The organization is also asking families who may be able to temporarily support loved ones at home to contact its head office.
Barker said the health and safety of supported individuals and staff remains the organization’s top priority as preparations continue.
NACL says updates regarding any labour disruption will be shared through its website, social media channels and email communications.
